I’ve been working on creating a new daily routine for Elliot’s lessons and just want to break them up a bit. Since we have about 2 hours or so in the morning before Dan leaves for work I wanted to utilize that time well. So I came up with a little ‘morning time’ set of activities that include: affirmation, nature study, read aloud, poem/nursery rhyme, game, and art study/art sesh. There are variations of the type of games and art lesson depending on the day to mix it up.
We started today and it was a hit! Here is what we did:
- Elliot chose an affirmation card by @hudson_academy
- read about summer in The Reasons for Seasons by Gail Gibbons
- completed a summer/winter worksheet by @homeandhavencommunity
- I read the poem Come Summer from A Humble Life by Linda Oatman High as Elliot cut out the images for the activity
- played a summer fruit matching game by @montessorilivingroom
- looked at the painting, The Maas at Dordrecht with Fishing Boats by Albert Cuyp and discussed lighting, feeling and the subjects in the work.
On the days Elliot is not in school we will be doing our usual afternoon lessons as well. Since we are learning all about the summer solstice this week in our nature study a lot of the materials will be summer themed and it’s also leading up to our summer vacay next week as well. am looking forward to more mornings like this and hope it continues to be a success.